About your trip
Explore New Zealand’s largest volcano in the summer.
The Tongariro Alpine Crossing is a 19.4 km hike across dramatic volcanic landscapes. It is known for being the best single-day trek in New Zealand and amongst the top one-day treks in the world.
Getting you there and back safely and easily.
We offer reliable and affordable shuttle transfers from various starting points, with optional departure and return times to choose from.
At the end of the day, we’ll be waiting to take you back to your car.
While most parking in the region has a 4-hour limit, you can enjoy exclusive all-day parking free - when you book with us.
Please arrive 15 minutes before departure so that we can run on time.
Trips to and from the Tongariro Crossing
Round Trip: We'll drop you off at the start of the crossing and pick you up at the end.
This option is more suited to people who have set start and finish times. We pick you up in Turangi and drop you off at the start of the crossing.
Once you've completed your trail walk, we will pick you up at the end of the crossing and provide you with a cold drink for your return trip back to Turangi.
6.30 a.m. Depart Turangi
3.30 p.m. Return Crossing End
* Times may vary depending on weather and demand. Please check-out our BOOK NOW instant online calendar OR contact us for more information.
$50.00 per person
To drop off point approximately 60-mins.
From pick-up point approximately 19-mins.
One-way trip: We'll drop you off and you walk back to the carpark
Suited to those who want to spend more time exploring without time restrictions.
You park at our exclusive, secure car park. We drop you off at the start of the crossing.
Once you've finished your hike, you walk back to your parked vehicle at your convenience.
6.00 a.m. - Departs Carpark hourly
10.00 a.m. (must be able to finish the trail before dark)
* Times may vary depending on weather and demand. Please check-out our BOOK NOW instant online calendar OR Please contact us for more information.
$30.00 per person
To Drop off point approximately 30-mins.
Know before you go
New Zealand’s weather is unpredictable. Always check forecasts and expect four seasons in a day.
We work closely with New Zealand’s Mountain Safety Council and encourage you to follow their outdoor safety code.
- Wear good quality hiking boots
- Layer your clothes - avoid cotton - thermal and fleeces are a good choice as they stay warm when wet
- Water and windproof outerwear is essential
- Take a warm hat and gloves even when it's hot - you don’t want to be caught out by the weather
- Wear and pack high factor sun protection
- Your food and water intake will be higher - pack plenty of water to avoid dehydration and extra food with a high energy value
- During daylight savings hours, make sure you pack a torch in case you return later than expected
"Thank you for supporting local business"
Please acknowledge our appreciation of 'Thanks to you' for travelling with us 'Backyard Tours' an approved Department of Conservation transport operator.
A portion of your transport cost contributes to the maintenance of the Tongariro National Park UNESCO first dual heritage National Park in the World.
Give them an experience they’ll remember!